Upper Boddington

Circular Walk 19 (5.5 Miles)

Walk Overview

This gentle 5½ mile circular walk starts in the pleasant village of Upper Boddington, and meanders across mostly flat farmland & open countryside. Park in the village of Upper Boddington near to The Plough, where refreshment might be welcome after the walk ( but only open lunchtimes on Sat/Sun ) For the first part of the walk, you will enjoy the delights of The Millennium Way, where you will be guided by our distinctive waymarkers.

Walk Details

  • Start: The Plough Inn, Upper Boddington NN11 6DH
  • Start Grid Ref: SP 483 534
  • Parking: Roadside
  • Refreshments:
    • The Plough Inn (01327 260364) Only open for lunch on Sat/Sun
    • The Fox & Hounds in Charwelton NW1 13YY  ( 01327 260611 ) Open for lunch Wed-Sun is 10 minutes drive away
  • Maps: OS Explorer 206 or OS Landranger 151
  • Distance: 5½ miles
  • Time: 2½ hours
  • Stiles: 8
  • Download: Walk GPS (GPS Exchange Format, GPX)
  • GPS and GPX explained
  • Find a mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play

Updated April 2024

Map_Walk_19-Upper_Boddington.jpg

Walk Instructions

Section A

We begin our walk from The Plough at Upper Boddington. With your back to The Plough go left down road and turn right into Frog Lane. Here you join the Millennium Way and you will see our black waymarkers from now on. Go ahead round left bend and immediately take footpath right ( where sign bans cycling ) going along to Methodist Church to reach road. Turn left onto road and, at end of houses, pass through gateway. After 30 paces take gate right and go through copse to cross first footbridge and continue along track to take right field corner wooden gate. Continue with hedge right through gap into field. Go diagonally 1/2 left across field to take a second footbridge into next field, then going ahead to cross a third wooden footbridge. Continue left around edge of next field heading for the waymarker post in top left corner. Go left through hedge gap keeping along edge of field with hedge right. Exit field by corner gap and go ahead steadily up field valley to gap in trees to find and cross single plank ditch bridge. Go with wood left around field edge. At the far hedge gap go left on bridleway keeping hedge and trees right.

Walk_19.1-1.jpeg

Woodland Way

Section B

At field end go through gap in spinney and turn right to go with spinney right. Stay ahead on grass track with wood right to eventually exit by corner gap into field. Go ahead over centre of field to mid fence metal gate. Take gate and turn right to pass dew pond on right, then through small metal gate continuing slightly left in grassy corridor between hedges. Corridor swings right leading down to a gate. Take a look at the view. Take gate with hedge right and continue down between fences, then through gate and ahead to reach road.

Section C

Go though metal gate, cross road and then go through large wooden gate into large field. Head directly towards the pylon on the horizon. to the right of the large telecoms tower, to reach left corner gate (near buildings). Go through gate to pass in front of barn to driveway and take stile immediately right. Then go diagonally left across field passing telegraph pole to take corner stile, then second stile into field and go with hedge and power lines left to take corner gate. Take next gate opposite and go 1/4 right, parallel with power lines, to take mid fence gate to farm driveway. Turn right for 30 paces then left through gate and follow right edge of field to find wooden bridge in top right corner, where we leave The Millennium Way.

Walk_19.2-1-scaled.jpg

Stunning views

Section D

Take wooden bridge into field and go left along field edge and go through two metal gates/stiles into next field. Go along left edge of field to corner to take wooden gate to farm access track (Shooting School opposite).  Go right on access track and, just before the right hand corner, take large unwaymarked metal gate / fence stile on left into field and continue with wire fence and trees left. On reaching next corner do not go through wooden gate but go right staying in same field continuing with hedge left for 100 paces to take metal gate left into next field. Stay along edge of field with hedge left and around the two sides of square copse projecting into field. On reaching far corner ignore gate left (target shooting area) and instead go right for 50 paces to take stile left then further stile to cross wooden footbridge into field.

Section E

Go directly ahead across centre of field towards left-hand side of large tree to take mid hedge stile and footbridge to next field (you may find stile blocked, so go through gap to right and then head back diagonally left). Cross field to take obscured wooden footbridge and cross next field to take another obscured footbridge in hedge ahead. Stay directly uphill, often through crops, over next field towards ridge ahead, to find and take cattle grid between two large trees. Stay on farm track with hedge right then cross second cattle grid to eventually reach a lane. Turn left on lane to enter the village of Upper Boddington. After a short distance turn right into London End and go to end of lane which brings you back to The Plough for some welcome refreshment.

Walk_19.3-1-scaled.jpg

Quiet field paths

Points of Interest - What to know and what to see...

by Andy Botherway

Upper Boddington

Upper Boddington has a considerable number of listed buildings, including St. John the Baptist (grade I). This simple church can be seen for miles as it sits on top of a hill. The church is 13th Century but there is mention of a religious house in the Domesday book.

Two other buildings of note are the former 16th century rectory (grade II) and The Plough, a fine grade II listed stone and thatch public house which serves a lovely variety of food and drinks.

The Plough Inn

Although it only has 700 residents, the village has a garage and is home to a successful motor racing team, Team GCR which in 2009 fielded a car in the FIA European GT4 Championship.

The Welsh Road, an old drover’s route, forms the eastern boundary of the parish.

The spelling of Boddington has changed over the centuries from Botendon in Domesday Book (1086) through Bottelendon (12th Century Survey of Northamptonshire), and Budinton in the Calendar of Close Rolls (1244) to Botyngdon (1358), Botyndoun (1396) and Botyngdon (1428).

Walk_19.4-1-scaled.jpg

The Plough Inn

Up until the early 1900s there were houses and another public house, The Star Inn, at the bottom of Townsend Lane near the Pleck. The Manor House in Upper Boddington lost a top storey when a ‘flaming bomber’ crashed into it at the close of the last war.

Upper Boddington is the only village on the walk, the remainder being over pleasant farmland, as illustrated below.

Walk_19.5-1-scaled.jpg
Walk_19.6-1-scaled.jpg
Scroll to Top